Sunday, September 13, 2009

Micheal Wesch - A Vision of the Student Today

I watched this video and I liked it ; it definitely presented the truth about problems college students face on a daily basis. I can only speak for myself, but I have read three volumes' worth of Norton Anthology novels, poems, and short stories and can probably only tell you the plot of about ten to twenty of them. I know that Ihave gone over two semesters worth of Biology diagrams, models, outlines, and texts and would still have trouble tracing the flow of blood through the body. As students we are presented with so much information on a daily basis and in such a short amount of time that we are forced to memorize it for test taking purposes only.It seems to me that the ability of retaining and instantly recalling huge amounts of information are mostly reserved for those who do not have to work and go to school, who do not have families, and do nothing but study. In other words, not me.
The only problem I had with this video is that it presented so many problems ...but hardly any suggestions for solutions. It simply stated that "some believe" that technology will save us, ok; well elaborate please. I wish they would have done a little more research into how technology can offer help with these problems or how the future promises the development of help for these problems. Call me an optimist but that is the main problem I have with so many blogs is that everyone is quick to complain and give an opinion, but not to offer solutions or suggestions to make it better. Overall, this blog did a great job of opening the eyes of its audience to the problems facing students today.

No comments:

Post a Comment